Increasing your Vocabulary
Number your paper 1-10. Refer to the dictionary for the exact meaning of each adverb. Then answer each
of the questions below by writing the most appropriate adverb next to the number of the question which
the adverb answers.
1. How did the tiger bare his teeth at the visitors in the zoo?
2. How did the tourists stand at the tomb of the unknown soldier?
3. How did the Goths and Vandals act when they sacked and
burned the city of Rome?
4. How did the nervous patient approach the dentist's chair?
5. How did the captured hero stare at his enemy?
6. How did the master of ceremonies smile as he greeted the
contestant in the quiz contest?
7. How was the unnatural-looking clown dressed?
8. How did the weary housewife greet the unexpected guests
9. How did the well-prepared student answer the examination
10. When do owls hunt for prey?