Complete the sentences using the Past Progr., Past Perfect, Past Perf. Progr.. Sometimes more than one answer is possible.
1. We stood under the shelter because it _________________________ (to pour) with rain.
2. The streets were white because it __________________________ (to snow) all night.
3. They were bankrupt. They ___________________________ (to spend) all their money.
4. She _________________________ (to have) a nightmare when the alarm started and woke her up.
5. His hands were covered in oil because __________________________ (to try) to repair his bike. Unfortunately, he ____________________ (to manage) to make it work.
6. When father opened the window he was happy to see it _____________________________ (to snow) heavily. In fact, it ____________________ (to snow) all night and snow ________________________ (to cover) all the trees in his garden.
7. When Mrs Sanders came into the classroom, the students ______________________________ (to run) around and _____________________ (to shout) loudly. They __________________________ (to knock) over desks and chairs and somebody _______________________ (to draw) funny pictures on the board.
8. Although she ___________________________ (to set) off in the morning, she got there late and everyone __________________ (to wait) for her to start the lesson. One student told her they _______________________ (to wait) for a whole hour.
9. When we got back from our vacation we found out that somebody __________________________ (to break) into our house. The burglars, however, _______________________ (to drop) a passport with a name on it, as they __________________ (to climb) out of the window.
10. After Jim _________________________ (to finish) his duties, he _________________________ (can, to leave) the house.